Monday, June 12, 2017

"Just An Everyday Mother-Daughter Selfie" by Julianne McKenna

Hello fellow crafters! It's Julianne here, dropping by to share one of my creations with you. And of course, it's filled with an abundance of D-Lish goodies, all of which are available in the D-Lish store


I have been struggling to scrap this photo of my daughter and I for some time, because the colours were hard to work with. Honestly, trying to work with grey and an orange-red was not my idea of fun. Until I stumbled across some old Crate Paper papers, and added a silver sequin bow from D-Lish. The colours just matched perfectly, and the layout developed from there. 


I used a white Elegance Bloom and two white cabbage roses for my flowers. How did I get the right colour? I combined Tattered Angels Glimmermist in Oriental Poppy and Red-Nosed Reindeer. First I did a layer of the Oriental Poppy on the entire flower, then I added a little Red-Nosed Reindeer to the centres of the flowers. The result? The perfect coloured flowers to match my layout. 


I have used a simple white paper doily as my base and focal point for the flowers. The white really helps the flowers to "pop". 


Have you played with the Corbett Creations Wood Veneer pieces yet? Wow, I'm impressed. I decided to cut my circles in half with a paper knife, and it was just so easy. This gives me more options with shapes and designs. And then there is the beautiful, slightly burnt colour. I was originally thinking I would paint the elements white or black, but once I put them against the paper, I knew I would leave them "au natural". The colour was just so beautiful against the papers - too nice to cover them up. 


But I did highlight the Corbett Creation Wood Veneer rings with a little sparkle - just a small layer of rhinestones. 

And I created a visual triangle on my layout, using a 5x5 stencil and a little texture paste. I adore the Splats and Stains stencil as it is so versatile and can be used with texture paste, paint, ink, pencils, Pan Pastels etc. Honestly, 5x5 stencils are a fantastic way to create texture and dimension on any layout. I am slowly adding more stencils to my stash (because I am a hoarder and cannot help myself!). 


I finished my layout with a Corbett Creation Wood Veneer Title - "SELFIE". Totally appropriate for the photo of my daughter and myself. 

Thank-you for joining me today, and I hope I have inspired you to maybe play with some new products in different ways? Never be afraid to try something a little different. It's all part of the process of learning.

Don't forget to LIKE us on Facebook - it's an easy way to keep up with all the latest fun and products happening at D-Lish. 

If you would like to view more of my work, please visit my blog: 

Cheers and happy crafting, xxx

JULIANNE. 


1 comment:

  1. Love your LO Jules & especially love your pic .. Hugz ❤️🌺

    ReplyDelete