Thursday, August 18, 2016

Nerds Shall Inherit the World | Sue Plumb

Hi everyone! Sue Plumb back with you today with the second of my August D-lish projects to share. Today's layout was inspired by a photo I took recently of my daughter and her best friend. These two are so alike! They are both currently obsessed with Harry Potter, are very intellectual and are (what his mum and I affectionately call) "nerds". In fact, it was her quote that I used for the title, because that is what she said to me when I showed her the photo of them together.


I have had this Heidi Swapp "lightbulb" paper in my stash for quite a while, just waiting for the right project to use it on. And I figured that it couldn't be more appropriate than this one! Because the pattern was so busy, I decided to cut away a portion of it and then stick the remaining piece down onto a sheet of cardstock to form my background. I then added some green mist and a line of machine stitching along the centre edge to add some subtle texture.


For my photo mat, I layered together pink punchinella; some green spot tissue paper (from a previous Just Add Paper kit) and a white lace paper doily. I also added a Journal It's date tab tucked in behind my photo.


To further highlight the subjects in my photo, I added a shaped paperclip; as well as a flair button (from the Woodgrain Hashtags set) which I nested on some messy thread. I also added 3 circles from the Corbett Creations wood veneer circle set around my photo which I coloured red with a Posca pen. (Seriously, THE cleanest and easiest way to colour wood veneer pieces!)


Given the subject of my layout, I wanted the title to be a bit quirky, so I decided to sculpt the word "nerds" from a piece of bronze coloured wire, which I then attached simply using staples. To help it stand out, I layered it on top of a Journal It's mixed ticket tab and underlined it using some wood veneer glasses (from a previous JAP kit) that I coloured white. I also added a phrase strip and another small line of stitching.


To finish off my layout, I added another flair button (this one from the super cute Just My Type set); some small torn strips of washi tape and a scattering of D-lish Dots enamels for some extra colour pops. I love how bright and fun this page turned out, and mostly importantly, my daughter loves it too!

That's all from me today, I will be back tomorrow with my final D-lish project for the month. Until then, happy scrapping!

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your wire sculpted word.
    I need this as a family of proud nerds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...thank you, go the nerds I say!!
      The wire is really pliable and super easy to sculpt into words. I love using it!

      Delete