Thursday, February 18, 2016

{heart} you Wall Hanging | Sue Plumb

Hello again everyone! It's Sue here with you today sharing my next D-lish project for the month. This time I have something a little different to share - an 'off the page' creation I made to hang in my home featuring a recent favourite family selfie I took. (Photos with all five of us are rare, so I deemed this one 'wall worthy'.)



I created this piece using a timber embroidery hoop as my frame (which I picked up on eBay for only a few dollars). I started by mounting a sheet of patterned paper inside the hoop as my base, and then I adhered the photo inside. I then used some of the Pip Berry Stems (I used Lemon and Lime) right around the edge to create a frame. (Make sure you use a strong adhesive that is suitable for this task - I used Aleene's Tacky Glue, but you could use any PVA or a hot glue gun.)



Initially I had planned to leave some of the patterned paper showing through, but once I started adhering the flowers and saw how gorgeous they looked tightly clustered together I decided to fill the entire frame with them. I used a huge variety of paper flowers from the store, ranging from large roses right down to small Forget Me Nots. I used the colours of green, lemon, cream and white as my palette.



I started by adhering the largest flowers first, and then I made my way down in size, filling the gaps as I went. I tried to include as many shapes and shades from my colour palette as I could. I also added some green paper leaves and white flower stamens tucked in among the flowers for a bit of extra interest.



Once all the flowers were in place, I used this wood veneer title piece (from this month's Just Add Paper kit) to add my sentiment. (I adhered this using hot glue.)



At this point I decided an extra tiny pop of colour was needed, so I added one of the printed wood veneer butterflies, which was the perfect touch nestled among the flowers. 

To finish off, I added a green sequin bow to hide the embroidery hoop clasp, as this was the point that it would hang from.



I was really happy with how this piece came out. I don't venture off the page too often, but I love that this little trip has given me a momento to treasure and display in our home. (Just think - an item like this could make a great birthday present or Mothers Day gift - these flowers never die!)

I will be back tomorrow with my final share for the month. Until then, happy scrapping! :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is completely awesome. Love the colours and well, just everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I really appreciate your kind words Jane! X

      Delete