Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Smitten | Krisy Podolak

Hi Again, It's me Krisy and today is my last share for this month.
As promised I have something a little bit different. This layout is more mixed media.  For those that don't know, I love Art Journalling so this kind of mixed media I use all the time.  Really, it was only a matter of time before it spilled over into my Scrapbooking.


I actually had different plans for this layout but they didn't quite work out.  I washed some ink over a pre-prepared piece of cardstock and then applied some texture paste through the Scrap FX Rose stencil available in the D-lish Store.  I then sprinkled micro beads in the purple, gold and rose onto the wet paste.  When it was drying, I realized that I should have sprinkled the beads like you do a pinch of salt rather than tipping them straight from the jar.  They looked clumped and this would have given a more even look.  Also, the colours of the beads did not match the flowers that I wanted to use. So what to do?  I actually put the layout aside and started again but then I got thinking...Why can't I change it?  In the Art Journalling world, NOTHING can't be fixed with a bit of Gesso.  Just start again.  So, I covered the whole layout in three layers of Gesso.  This created a textured background screaming for some grungy details.

To the background, I highlighted the texture paste roses with some ink diluted down with a spray of water directly on the layout.  I also sprayed some ink and painted using a brush.  You must make sure you dry the page fully before adding more colours.  They will mix but the dryer it is the less it mixes more instantly and you have a bit more control. I also highlighted the roses with a bit of freehand drawing using a black pen.  All the little details count.

Once I was happy with my background, I applied my embellishments.  These turn a very grungy layout into a very feminine one. I used some pink Pip Berry stem to frame the photo and then some Pink Roses and white wax blossoms in clusters around the photo. No girly layout is complete without a sequin bow.  For a bit more detail and "frill" behind the flower clusters, I used a felt doily frame that I cut up into smaller sections using the lace frill as a guide.  I also used these frills on the edges of the page to create a bit of pretty.


So, what do you think?  Would you like to see more of these types of layouts or should I go back to a more traditional style next month?





No comments:

Post a Comment