Saturday, July 25, 2015

Thinking Outside the Square

Good Morning and welcome to the weekend! So has the title of my post this morning made you just a little bit curious?! I hope so. For my posts this month I have done things a little differently and I am going to share with you another way to think about your scrapbooking and hopefully help you to maybe approach things from a different perspective.

Now don't worry there is certainly no re-working the wheel going on here, nor a rocket science approach (although I may have been able to do a little rocket science as I studied that back in the day! LOL!). This is about a subtle shift in approach and something that I found out about from watching a You Tube video by Irit Landgraf. Irit is a scrapbooker from Europe (German I think) and she is wonderful to listen to and makes some great videos for a kit club that she works for, look her up if you have time.

This particular video though was about embellishments and a different approach to creating embellishment clusters. Now, I love an embellishment cluster so I was curious! Basically the idea is to play with your embellishments before you even start your page. Start playing and putting together bits and pieces until you have a pretty little cluster that you can then add to a page that suits.

Now, you all know that D-lish has sooooooo many gorgeous embellishments, so this should be an easy thing to do. Well it is pretty easy so long as you don't overthink things, just pull out lots of different pieces and start layering them together, adding little bits as final touches.

So I did just this and here are three clusters that I came up with:


The bitty bags are a great place to start building from, throw in a doily and a shipping tag and you already have the foundations for a cluster. To this I have split a journal it card behind the printed wood veneer card. Then I finished with a crochet heart, wordfetti, enamel dots and washi tape.


This one came together in a similar way, but I used a water colour card from a previous monthly kit, and then added flair and a paper flower and sequin flower.


And last but not least, again starting with a bitty bag, shipping tag and a journal it tag I added a wood veneer butterfly, cardfetti sentiment, flair button and a journal it spool top sentiment.

So now I have three clusters ready to use. One thing that I did learn while putting these together is when layering sometimes things get covered up, and that is OK. Sometimes it is more about the little bit of colour that is poking out, or the shape the item brings. The other thing that I learned is that smaller clusters are probably better and easier to use. The first two were on the large side, not that it stopped me using them! The third one I deliberately made to be card friendly, and I will finish today's post with the card that I created using this cluster.


To put this card together I didn't need to do much, I used a Scrap FX stencil on the background with some white gesso then sprayed some yellow mist on top. The gesso resists the spray so I wiped off the excess to show the pattern, splattered some kraft coloured mist for interest then put my cluster right on top. One card done in record time!

Well, I hope this has you all thinking now. Come back tomorrow and see the first layout that I created with one of the other clusters.



Thanks for stopping by,
Katie x

No comments:

Post a Comment