Monday, May 18, 2015

Mothers Day Canvas | Sue Plumb

Hi everyone! Sue back with you today sharing a project I created for my mum for Mothers Day.

Most mums love flowers, right? Only problem is, that a week after Mothers Day, those flowers you bought her aren't looking so pretty any more. My solution? Give her flowers that won't wilt away and create something she can treasure for a long time...


I created this canvas by starting with a mixed media background (gesso, texture paste, stencil, assorted mists). I decided to use only warm tones for my colour palette (pinks, reds, peach, yellow, gold) as these colours traditionally convey love, warmth, caring, energy and happiness.


This canvas really showcases some of the fantastic variety of paper flowers available at D-lish. (And I am not ashamed to admit I have a BIG stash of them!) Here you can see several different sizes (and colours) of roses. Other D-lish products include Forget Me Notpastel sequins and coloured wire.


Layer upon layer...tucked amongst the crochet doiley; gauze and Project Life cards is a gorgeous gold foil doiley. (I usually cut mine in half and use the two pieces tucked separately into layers on my projects to make the most of them.) You can also see some pastel leavesCherry Blossom; Forget Me Not and more roses.


For this final cluster I chose a stunning Azalea as my feature bloom, then used roses, cherry blossoms and Forget Me Nots again to surround it. When working with different size flowers like this, I generally start with the largest size flower and then work my way down, using a variety of colours as I go. To finish, I added a sequin bow and a few more loose sequins.


I hope I have inspired you to try something other than a traditional layout using flowers. Or, if you're not a flower fan, that you might try creating something using flowers as a gift for someone else. (I can tell you that the time and effort you put into creating it, will make it all the more special to the one receiving it.)

Til tomorrow when I will be back again, happy scrapping!

No comments:

Post a Comment