Monday, October 21, 2013

More inspiration from Kayla

It's me again. I'm back to share more layouts I created using my D-Lish bits from this month. 
The first page I created as my position as Design Diva at Scrapbook Creations. I have included my little step x step if you are interested.


D-Lish Products Used:






The How To:

  1. To begin this page, I wanted to start with a neutral base. I chose Kraft as I wanted the colours to really ‘pop’ on a subtle background. I began to assemble my papers. I didn’t want to over think it too much but needed to play around and move bits on the page to know what I wanted to do with my design. I decided in the end to keep the design really simple and centred. To create some texture I used a Heidi Swapp Lattice stencil and some gesso and gently smooched (I can’t think of a better word!) gesso over the stencil. I didn’t use the whole design of the mask and chose to just fill in bits here and there. I’m not a perfect scrapbooker by any means and relish in the mistakes and imperfections on my pages!
  1. I then started layering. I wanted this page to be all about the textures and so I chose a simple grey stripe and my favourite gold dot foil vellum to layer the photo on. The photos just don’t do this vellum justice. It’s stunning and I may have bought every piece I could get my hands on! When adhering this to my page I actually used 3D foam pop dots so I could create dimension and provide room to layer bits underneath the photo/centrepiece.
  1. To embellish I pulled out bits EVERYWHERE. My desk was looking like a mess at this stage. I like to pull out everything that fits into a certain colour scheme. In this case it was the grey, yellow and blue. I also thought that the cork matched in well so I pulled out a few cork embellishments I had in my stash. To embellish I don’t stick straight away, most often I place everything around and spend about 10-15 minutes moving bits on a page until the design catches my eye. In this case I chose to keep all of my embellishments pretty tightly clustered around the photo as I didn’t want to distract away from that. Once happy with my design I used glue to adhere everything down.
  1. Finally I thought I would share my favourite technique at the moment & that is twine circles. I’m obsessed! as you can see on this page I have used one to frame a gorgeous cherry flair badge (by A Piece of Cake Designs). I think it really helps to ‘ground’ something to a page..especially flair as they are so popular right now. The easiest way I have found to make these circles and have them ‘stay put’ is to grab the length of twine and wrap it around about 2/3 fingers. The amount of times you wrap the twine around depends on how thick you want your twine circle to be. I usually do it about four to five times. I then used my Tim Holtz tiny attacher (I love this tool!) to staple down the bits that my stapler would reach. Otherwise a few dots of a strong glue works well to keep it adhered.


I also managed another page this month themed around the October mood board for Jot which featured green tones and world maps. I loved creating this one as green is one of my favourite colours!


D-Lish Products Used:






I can't wait to share what I make next.

Kayla. x

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your layouts are stunning Kayla!! I love that you have so much detail on them and yet so much white space at the same time. Love love love!!! :)

    ReplyDelete